Marcos retains Galvez as peace adviser

August 9, 2022 0 Comments

Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr. will remain as peace adviser for President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. on a “holdover capacity” until the end of the year or until he gets replaced, Malacañang said Saturday.,The Office of the Press Secretary confirmed his reappointment to reporters.,Based on Office of the President Memorandum Order No. 1, dated 30 June 2022 and signed by Executive Secretary Vic Rodriguez, Galvez will stay as the head of the Office of the Presidential Adviser on Peace, Reconciliation, and Unity (OPAPRU).,“Galvez Jr. is hereby authorized to continue in office on a hold-over capacity until December 31, 2022, or until his replacement has been appointed or designated,” the memorandum read.,It stated that the decision was made to ensure that there would be “no interruption or disruption in the activities of the OPAPRU and the implementation of the comprehensive peace process.”,Galvez, a retired military chief, was President Rodrigo Duterte’s peace adviser from 2018 until June this year.,In his message on Eid al-Adha, Galvez said the Marcos administration is determined to continue the implementation of the comprehensive Philippine peace process, especially in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.,“Today, we honor the sacrifices made by millions of Hujjaj from all over the world as they conclude their annual Hajj or holy pilgrimage in the blessed land of Mecca in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia,” Galvez said in a statement.,“As nations across the globe confront the challenges caused by armed conflict, poverty, inequality, and the current health crisis, may all of us be inspired by the remarkable journey made by members of the Islamic faith,” he added.,From March 2020 to June 2022, Galvez served as the Chief Implementer of the Philippines’ Declared National Policy Against COVID-19 (COVID-19 National Task Force).,In November 2020, he was appointed as the country’s COVID-19 Vaccine czar, responsible for leading the government’s efforts in bringing into the country million doses of COVID-19 vaccines.,He previously served as the Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines from April to December 2018.,